Myasthenia Gravis

Introduction:

This is a disorder of the peripheral nervous system involving antibodies that have
been produced by the body; they bind to receptor sites that normally bind acetyl-
choline. This prevents the acetylcholine from binding to the receptor sites on the
skeletal muscle, inhibiting normal muscle contraction in the affected area. The
areas of the body most commonly affected by the autoimmune disease include the
muscles in the eyes, face, lips, tongue, throat, and neck, resulting in weakness and
fatigue of these areas. The disease does not seem to be hereditary, but does have
a family tendency toward autoimmune disorders. The majority of the patients
have a hyperplasia (excessive growth of normal cells) of the thymus gland.
Myasthenia gravis is more likely to develop in young adults and is more common
in women.

PROGNOSIS

The disease can take a variety of forms from mild weakness and drooping of the
eye muscles to generalized, progressive weakness that ultimately affects respira-
tory function. Progression of symptoms will vary from patient to patient. There are
typically episodes of exacerbations and remissions. The more aggressive form of
the disease progresses more rapidly, resulting in death from respiratory failure.

SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS

• Ptosis (drooping of the eyelid) due to muscular weakness
• Diplopia (double vision) due to inability to keep both eyes focused on the
same object
• Trouble closing eyes completely; dry eyes due to muscle weakness
• Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia) due to muscle weakness
• Muscle weakness later in the day due to fatigue
• Proximal muscle weakness
• Fatigue
• In advanced disease—loss of bowel and bladder control; difficulty with res-
piratory function
• Myasthenic crisis is an exacerbation of symptoms due to insufficient
medication:
• Tachycardia
• Tachypnea
• Elevated blood pressure
• Cyanosis
• Decrease in urinary output
• Incontinence of bowel and bladder
• Loss of gag reflex
• Cholinergic crisis is an exacerbation of weakness due to too much choliner-
gic medication:
• Blurred vision
• Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
• Abdominal cramping
• Paleness
• Twitching of facial muscles
• Small pupils (miosis)
• Low blood pressure

TREATMENT

• Administer immunosuppressants to induce remission and help control
symptoms:
• prednisone or dexamethasone initially to improve symptoms
• azathioprine and cyclophosphamide in the long term to help control
symptoms
• Administer cholinesterase inhibitors for long-term control of symptoms. These
drugs have short duration of action, therefore have to be dosed several times
during the day:
• neostigmine

NURSING DIAGNOSES

• Impaired physical mobility
• Impaired verbal communication
• Ineffective air exchange
• Self-care deficit

NURSING INTERVENTION

• Encourage frequent rest periods.
• Monitor vital signs.
• Monitor nutritional intake.
• Monitor weight.
• Monitor neurologic status for changes in pupil reaction, extraocular move-
ments, eyelid movement, facial symmetry, hand grip strength, coordination,
fine motor skills, and gait.
• Monitor respiratory status for changes in rate, effort, skin color, use of acces-
sory muscles, or change in mental status.
• Monitor gag reflex.
• Arrange for appropriate communication with staff if patient is unable to use
call bell system or unable to be heard over intercom from room.
• Explain to the patient:
• Home care needs.
• Medication use; need to maintain time schedule for medications.
• Time meals one hour after medications to decrease chance of aspiration.
• Teach use of oral-pharyngeal suctioning catheter to clear secretions.
• Avoid heat extremes (hot tubs, saunas).
• pyridostigmine
• ambenonium
• Administer natural tears or other lubricant to keep eyes moist:
• patch eyes if unable to close
• High-calorie diet of appropriate food type—patient may have difficulty
swallowing.
• Removing antibodies from plasma (plasmapheresis) may be beneficial.
• BiPAP or CPAP for enhanced air movement and oxygenation.
• Thymectomy (surgical removal of thymus gland) for patients with thymoma.
• Avoid aminoglycoside antibiotics which may exacerbate symptoms.
• Alcohol may exacerbate symptoms. Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

  1. The Myasthenia Gravis reaches its extreme severity when the person affected is not resting because it doesn’t cause any harm when a person is at rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Autism,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Love Spell,Prostate Cancer,Lung Cancer,Glaucoma.,psoriasis, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis,
    Dementia.,Tach Disease,Breast Cancer,Blood Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Love Spell,Chronic Diarrhea,Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ . I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) in the summer of 2013; His initial symptoms were quite noticeable. He first experienced weakness in his right arm and his speech and swallowing abilities were profoundly affected. We all did our best to seek help for this disease no medications they prescribe worked ,we were all scared we might lost him due to his condition, as he had been his brother's caregiver a few years earlier for the same disease before he past. doctor recommend nuatural treatment from total cure herbal foundation for his ALS we have no choice to give a try on natural organic treatment ,this herbal cure has effectively reverse my father condition ,losing his balance which led to stumbling and falling stop after the completing the herbal supplement which include his weakness in his right arm and his speech, home remedies from totalcureherbalfoundation@gmail.com is the best although their service is a little bit expensive but it worth it, they save lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to make search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady called peter Lizzy she was testifying  to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails