Ulcerative Colitis

Introduction:

An inflammatory disease of the large intestine that affects the mucosal layer begin-
ning in the rectum and colon and spreading into the adjacent tissue. There are ulcer-
ations in the mucosal layer of the intestinal wall, and inflammation and abscess
formation occur. Bloody diarrhea with mucous is the primary symptom. There are
periods of exacerbations and remissions. Symptom severity may vary from mild to
severe. The exact cause is unknown, but there is increased incidence in people with
northern European, North American, or Ashkenazi Jewish origins. The peak inci-
dences are from mid-teen to mid-twenties and again from mid-fifties to mid-sixties.

PROGNOSIS

Patients with ulcerative colitis may have an increase in symptoms with each flare-
up of the disease. Malabsorption of nutrients can cause weight loss and health
problems. Some patients will need surgery to resect the affected area of the large
intestine, resulting in a colostomy, ileal reservoir, ileoanal anastomosis, or ileoanal
reservoir. There is an increased risk of colon cancer in patients with ulcerative coli-
tis. The patient is also at risk for developing toxic megacolon or perforating the
area of ulceration.

SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
• Weight loss
• Abdominal pain
• Chronic bloody diarrhea with pus due to ulceration
• Electrolyte imbalance due to diarrhea
• Tenesmus—spasms involving the anal sphincter; persistent desire to empty
bowel

TREATMENT
• Keep stool diary to identify irritating foods.
• Low-fiber, high-protein, high-calorie diet.
• Administer antidiarrheal medications:
• loperamide
• diphenoxylate hydrochloride and atropine
• Administer salicylate medications to reduce inflammation within the intes-
tinal mucosa:
• sulfasalazine
• mesalamine
• olsalazine
• balsalazide
• Administer corticosteroids during exacerbations to reduce inflammation:
• prednisone
• hydrocortisone
• NPO for bowel rest during exacerbations.
• Administer anticholinergics to reduce abdominal cramping and discomfort:
• dicyclomine
• Surgical resection of affected area of large intestine.

NURSING DIAGNOSES

• Acute pain
• Diarrhea
• Impaired skin integrity

NURSING INTERVENTION

• Monitor intake and output.
• Monitor stool output, frequency.
• Weigh patient regularly.
• Sitz bath.
• Vitamin A & D ointment or barrier cream applied to skin.
• Witch hazel to soothe sensitive skin.
• Monitor for toxic megacolon (distended and tender abdomen, fever, elevated
WBC, elevated pulse, distended colon).
• Teach home care for new ostomy patients or refer to enterostomal therapist
for education:
• Teach proper skin care of perianal area to avoid skin breakdown.
• Avoid fragranced products which can be irritating.
• Teach dietary modification, and which foods to avoid.
• Teach medication use, schedule, and side effects.
• Teach importance of follow-up care.
• Teach wound care for postoperative patients.
• Disturbed body image Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

  1. FINALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS
    I thought my life had nothing to offer anymore because life became meaningless to me because I had Herpes virus, the symptoms became very severe and bold and made my family run from and abandoned me so they won't get infected. I gave up everything, my hope, dreams,vision and job because the doctor told me there's no cure. I consumed so many drugs but they never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me making it worse. I was doing some research online someday when I came across testimonies of some people of how DR ADIGBA cured them from Herpes, I never believed at first and thought it was a joke but later decided to contact him on the details provided and when I messaged him we talked and he sent me his herbal medicine and told me to go for a test after two weeks. Within 7 days of medication the symptoms disappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I was NEGATIVE by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you DR ADIGBA because I forever owe you my life and I'll keep on telling the world about you. If you are going through same situation worry no more and contact DR ADIGBA via dradigba@gmail. com or WhatsApp him via +2348077875210. he is good too to cure all type of disease and virus.
    1 HIV cure
    2 cancer
    3 diabetes
    4 hepatitis
    5 herpes.
    You can contact if you are having any problem...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m from USA am here to give my testimony about Dr Voke who helped me cure my HERPES (HSV), i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS), i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. Three months ago a friend suggested that I try herbal medicine; from a very powerful herbal doctor called (doctorvoke@gmail.com) I looked up his blog on the internet site and indeed he have had immense success with his product. There were lot of persons posting their testimony about how he cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result just came out negative. (doctorvoke@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m from USA am here to give my testimony about Dr Voke who helped me cure my HERPES (HSV), i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS), i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. Three months ago a friend suggested that I try herbal medicine; from a very powerful herbal doctor called (doctorvoke@gmail.com) I looked up his blog on the internet site and indeed he have had immense success with his product. There were lot of persons posting their testimony about how he cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result just came out negative. (doctorvoke@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails